height limit on buildings to reduce lag

Go down

height limit on buildings to reduce lag

Post by Juicy on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:10 pm

Previous servers RL have played on have a building height limit of 10. This is because beyond that you start to induce lag to the surrounding area when the building renders in and out. Maybe we can all agree or make a rule to limit the height. The wood building in resource hole is a joke. Must take like 20 min to get top to bottom..haha...anyway just a suggestion
Juicy
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: height limit on buildings to reduce lag

Post by mintR on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:03 am

I didn't know these was even possible.

Are we able to restrict the height without adding mods?
mintR
Admin

View user profile http://murderrustrespawn.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by AWildCretin on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:06 am

Only problem is, there is no way we can enforce that without oxide unless we add a strict rule such as ban. However i'm sure alot of players in this community may think this would be unfair and i would too personally.

I think it would be wise to maybe create some sort of poll and find out if players would prefer that or not however since there is already buildings capping this limit then it may be wise to create the poll closer to the next wipe.

The question which we should be asking is how would we enforce it without oxide AND IF IT WAS to go through, what sort of punishment if someone exceeded the limit.

Now, i know there is a minority of players who prefer oxide but obviously our main source of traffic and mainly fan and community base is here for vanilla only, that and 90-95% of time we are on the 1st Page constantly 24/7..

So my overall opinion is - I think it is a great idea, however without oxide i don't think it would be possible really and if it was, there would have to be some extremely harsh and strict rule behind it which i think alot of players if not nearly all the players would disagree.  

- TheGodAWC / AWC.  king
AWildCretin
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juicy on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:22 am

What previous servers did was have message pop up every 30 minutes to begin with. And also messaged new players when they joined saying you cant build higher than 10 stories. There is no mod to enforce it. Admins would simply destroy anything above 10. So you may need oxide to destroy pillars ceilings etc. Makes for better performance and gameplay. Plus those addicted like my self dont have 50 high wood tower. Go for the metal base Smile so makes good level playing field.
Juicy
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AWildCretin on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:17 am

"There is no mod to enforce it"
"So you may need oxide to destroy pillars ceilings etc"

The problem is, we are trying to keep it vanilla. To have any tools to remove Ceilings, pillars and foundations would mean shifting to Oxide, same for if we was to have a server message popping up every 30 minutes (If we wanted it to be 30 minutes exactly everyday, 24/7 so on and forth).

So if we was to follow this out that would mean sacrificing the servers vanilla state and go Oxide. This is what i meant with about i don't think it would work, we are trying to keep and establish it as a Vanilla server.

So this is why its a bit of a difficult situation and not something that i can personally vouch for, because it has its pro's and cons. The pro's of the cap limit is that the servers state will have reduced lag, which is great. Everyone loves a lag free game or a game which is less laggier shall we say.

But the cons are we are not guaranteed first on the page, the traffic of new players to our server would be drastically reduced and i mean heavily reduced due to we would then be put with tens of thousands of other servers rather than thousand servers and being on first page like we currently stand at now. That and  Oxide has been commonly known for causing lag issues itself. As well as the obvious fact our community is heavily in favour of a vanilla server, if it was to change we could lose more players that we anticipate.

So since this has its ups and downs, my vote would be if it was to happen - to run it by a poll first and see what the majority of the community would prefer. However this should wait closer to the next future wipe since for now it would be pointless due to alot of players including myself would of hit over the desired cap limit of 10.

- TheGodAWC / AWC.  king
AWildCretin
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down