[ 11 ]
58% 58% 
[ 15 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 26

changes for the best.

Post by mintR on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 am

Ok guys, we are currently in discussion for making some pretty big changes to the server, however this is open for a vote so you guys get the overall majority decision.

Firstly I will not be as active as an in-game admin as i used to be, I'm away to start my graded project for my diploma which taking up most my time. I will still be available in terms of website, forum management and renewing the server.

I have been aware of multiple hacker's being reported which can be fixed by doing one of three things.

1) we white list the server and have a steam group setup only players the steam group can connect the server. This will be an application process and ultimately mean I allow/deny players the server.

2) we get more admins, this is a long process and still may end up destroying the server. Giving admin to a player is easy, finding a trusted player is hard. It's not as simple as you may think.

3) We keep the community server up and also rent another 75 slot server to act a white list server. Admins can keep track of regular community server players and if we feel they are fair players, give them access to restricted white server. So the community server would act as a way of adding fresh names to the server as well as a "fire wall" allowing admins to get to know the players before white listing them.

However with the 3rd option we would need additional funds make this work. The additional server cost is £20 a month .  That's 27p each.

Vote at the top of this post on what you would like to see happen.

Last edited by mintR on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mintR
Admin

View user profile http://murderrustrespawn.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: changes for the best.

Post by Kociboss on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:39 am

I vote for more admins.

There is a risk involved as you stated, but overall I think it would be the best option.

Splitting server might get us nowhere i.e. - Divide the population.

Whitelisting seems problematic and it does not solve the issue 100% - Whitelisted accounts/players can still hack.

It's definitely a tough decision. I used to be GM for Ragnarok Online private server and I know that handling such issues might turn your hair gray.

Last edited by Kociboss on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Kociboss
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by slightlymad1 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:44 am

Kociamafia wrote:I vote for more admins.

There is a risk involved as you stated, but overall I think it would be the best option.

Splitting server might get us nowhere i.e. - Divide the population.

Whitelisting seems problematic and it does not solve the issue 100% - Whitelisted players/accounts can still hack.

It's definitely a tough decision. I used to be GM for Ragnarok Online private server and I know that handling such issues might turn your hair gray.

As he said I have been following a white listed UK server , their population has dwindled from 125 down to a mere 50 or so , they cannot stop the hacking and do not have new recruits. If you whitelist it will dwindle and die in my opinion. "if it isn't broken don't try to fix it" More admins is the key here
slightlymad1
Resource Gatherer
Resource Gatherer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slenderminge. on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:45 am

Yep, have to agree with everyone else. Whitelisting will mean you lose your playerbase, not only through denying people but the people who leave in general won't be replaced. I think you're better off finding more admins. This seems like the only route to go down.

- Slenderminge.
Slenderminge.
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Orcjura on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:00 am

Dont whitelist the server, there will be no players then, i will leave if server becomes whitelisted
Orcjura
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shoulao on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:41 am

I suggested this in game.
What about Whitelist as a temporary solution. Just until Facepunch gets their act together.
That way we don't face death of the server through player attrition, but gain the short term benefit of making mintR's life easier  Very Happy

I originally voted Admin, but now I'm having second thoughts; having listened to mintR's reasoning, and the fact that he clearly hasn't got the time to continue as we are. Hacking will just get worse in his absence...

Last edited by Shoulao on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Shoulao
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tjhooker on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:54 am

i agree with this but i have had whitlisted minecraft servers and people will go for the quick connect rather than register on a website apply for white list in the short term this is fine as we have a great community but as people drop off as they will ther will be few new additions so i think whitlist would work but only as a short term solution (the admins are doing a good job with hackers and from my experiance as admin and server owner any anti hack will never be 100% lucky if it gets 50%
tjhooker
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SIMPLEo91 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm

More admins imo.

Whitelist could possibly kill the server, or cause it to stagnate at least. New members are needed, and the majority won't want to go through the hassle of registering etc to get in, when they can just join another one.
SIMPLEo91
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 pm

If the majority of the vote says More Admins, I will be installing the oxide mod and adding the oxmin plugin so that I can give certain admin rights to players, rather than whole admin access. This ensures no one is spawning in items. The only person with that ability will be me.
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hardypwn on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:18 pm

and there we go off the front page Sad
hardypwn
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:23 pm

hardypwn wrote:and there we go off the front page Sad

Any decision the community makes will require a sacrifice somewhere. Unfortunately we cant implement something and keep everyone happy. Which is the whole reason behind the poll.

I can easily keep the server on community and recruit another 2 admins with full rcon. But then I will be receiving complaints about the new admins spawning in c4 and blowing up houses and using god mode. Which then results in the server being killed and players reporting MRR on face punch forums saying we are bad admins and to avoid us.

Which kills all the work we have put into this so far.

At the end of the day, its you guys keeping this server up, not me. I'm doing this solely for the players, I literally haven't played rust properly in over a month.
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hardypwn on Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:20 pm

I'm no judging. Trust is the key for any position with power, and it's hard to make a judgement call without extensive research on anyone who applies for admin. If we need to have oxide, we need to have oxide. I'd rather see us with proper authority and off the front page, that abusive admins and overrun with hackers.
hardypwn
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Madmolar on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:48 am

I reckon more admins is the way to go.

One thing to remember, this game has a long way to go and there will be plenty of wipes along the way. Lots of time to weed out the unscrupulous admins ;-)
Madmolar
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:16 am

I'm not convinced that moving the server from "community" to "modded" is a good idea, especially if the only reason is to make more mods. I personally find the vanilla game a much better experience.
Rob
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Orcjura on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:23 am

If server will be whitelisted i will leave, server will eventually lose more and more players. I dont want to play on empty server.
Orcjura
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:49 pm

Rob wrote:I'm not convinced that moving the server from "community" to "modded" is a good idea, especially if the only reason is to make more mods. I personally find the vanilla game a much better experience.

This is un-avoidable if the vote ends up being "More Admins", I'm not taking the risk of giving new admins full rcon. Regarding the "Vanilla" style of play, the mod itself will not change anything. It will still be exactly the same as it is now.
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kociboss on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:40 am

mintR wrote:
This is un-avoidable if the vote ends up being "More Admins", I'm not taking the risk of giving new admins full rcon. Regarding the "Vanilla" style of play, the mod itself will not change anything. It will still be exactly the same as it is now.

100 agreed. New admins should definitely have limited powers.
Kociboss
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:38 am

With the vote the outcome result is that you guys want to see more admins.

To put this into effect we have added Oxmin mod to the server which allows me to give certain admin rights to new admins.

Poll Closed
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum