Server Whitelist

Go down

Server Whitelist

Post by mintR on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:23 pm

The server has been up for around 1 week and the amount of players using the server has exceeded my expectations.

With this their is a problem with how many hackers we are receveing on the server and the amount of time the server requires admin attention.

As it stands we have Me as the go-to admin (I dont play rust, I just admin) and Kiwi who plays and admins with kick/ban rights.

Even still the server's popularity means im struggling to keep up with the demand.

What I am thinking of is whitelisting the server which means only players that I allow to join, can join. I will add the players steam global unique identifier (GUID) to the server whitelist config which enables that player to join.

This way you would need to "Apply" to join the server, which means this should lower the hacking to a bare minimum and makes it easier to deal with if it does happen. It stops players joining via the server browser.

To see the damage hackers are causing, this is the ban list of roughly just under 1 week. This is where 80% of my rust time is spent which could be used on website improvements, helping players, etc.

http://murderrustrespawn.forumotion.co.uk/t25-banned-players

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by mintR on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
mintR
Admin

View user profile http://murderrustrespawn.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Server Whitelist

Post by bLuNt on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:10 pm

I think this might be the right decision. But how are you going to do that, cuz a lot of our players aren't even rigistered on the forum...
bLuNt
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:15 pm

I'll go on and speak to the server on a busy night and explain the situation, the regular players who enjoy the service I provide will register on the forum.

I'll also setup a steam group for players.
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hardypwn on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:59 pm

The other way would be to find more admins, and make it work in a way that it overlaps. Applying to play on the server will turn the steady flow of people who drop in/drop out to zero because for some it's too much work. For instance, our group was looking for a server to play on after leaving our "babbies first training server" and we looked by dropping in/out from multiple servers. It's the biggest downside of whitelisting imo.
hardypwn
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Finding more admins is a lot of work, if I pick 1 bad admin and he decides to abuse it, that's going to anger a lot of players which then ends up in forum posts damaging the reputation and making all the hours and work Iv'e put into this useless.

But I do see where your coming from, I think this would be a lot harder to pull off if this was a new server, but we have a regular player count of 80+ at peak times.
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hardypwn on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:09 pm

True, finding good admins is a chore. Other way would be turning whitelisting on and off if you see the community starting to diminish. either way I'm okay with either. As long as the player count doesn't dwindle to zero. Smile
hardypwn
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 pm

If we can get 40 of our regular players to agree with the white list I believe we can do well. Considering the condition of rust atm and the amount of hackers I think a white listed server that is organised will do very well.
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fleshmode on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 pm

I'm very active in rust, but even I wouldn't enrol for a server,personally I like the fact you can bump into new players in game.. new blood is important otherwise the server may stagnate and eventually die. and if u think all will apply like you say, think again.. they will go to a server that works, and those that do apply will be mates of mates creating a group of dominating clans. no thanks.
fleshmode
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:17 pm

fleshmode wrote:I'm very active in rust, but even I wouldn't enrol for a server,personally I like the fact you can bump into new players in game.. new blood is important otherwise the server may stagnate and eventually die. and if u think all will apply like you say, think again.. they will go to a server that works, and those that do apply will be mates of mates creating a group of dominating clans. no thanks.

Thank you for your input.
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FortuneHunter on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:34 pm

I was playing on the server with whitelist and without. Whitelisting makes it a little bit harder to join so players which have hacks will propably ignore this and go to normal, without whitelist server.
From the otherside if cheater will join to the server with whitelist he could have more profit from cheating.

But, as I know from my experience whitelisting have more pros than cons so my vote is YES.
I just hope that it won't be like you can join if you have friend on the server.
FortuneHunter
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:35 pm

To understand the amount of hackers we work through please check the banned players page, this is 1 weeks worth of player bans. And usually where 80% of my time is used.

http://murderrustrespawn.forumotion.co.uk/t25-banned-players
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FortuneHunter on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:45 pm

I was a moderator on the server which has his own anticheat and it wasn't enough to stop people from hacking. That's because of private hacks for real money. They are usualy dedicated to the server and secure software.
That is why active administrating the server is so important, and that is another reason why we should put this into life. If admins are busy because of tons of new players they can't focus that much on the one person.
FortuneHunter
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by airmannowak on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:13 am

Im up for whitelisting strictly for the community of players. Less bad blood when we kill each other IMO. However I do like the idea of not being a whitelist just so you can get new players in that might end up being a valuable asset to your team. Ive played on whitelist servers before in other games and i enjoyed but not more so than non. It is a tricky topic but my gut feeling is go for whitelisting.
airmannowak
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mintR on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:09 am

The other option is to have 2 servers on the go, a community server and a white list server, trusted and regular players on the community server can be invited to play on the white listed server.

However the donations I currently receive only covers the current community server, if had more players donating this is very possible.
mintR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by slightlymad1 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:47 am

White list does not work hackers will still hack this is on the official fp forums all whitelisting will do is prevent casual gamers which we need. Ots alpha garry is fixing this it will not always be like this
slightlymad1
Resource Gatherer
Resource Gatherer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by slightlymad1 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:48 am

White list does not work hackers will still hack this is on the official fp forums all whitelisting will do is prevent casual gamers which we need. Ots alpha garry is fixing this it will not always be like this
slightlymad1
Resource Gatherer
Resource Gatherer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferrando on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:22 pm

I'm playing on a regular basis on this server and i dont think this is a good idea.
Ferrando
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xiandrii on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:59 am

hi could you add me to the whitelist? thanks

my steam name is xiandrii
my steam ID: STEAM_0:1:5030848

oh, and i dont think it's a good idea to have it whitelisted because that will stop new players coming into the server, causing it to stagnate. I think a better way would be to find extra admins to help
xiandrii
Bambi
Bambi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down